The Petit de Marivat mansion was built in 1732 for the Financial Commissary of Wars, François Petit de Marivat, by the renowned Parisian architect, Jacques-François Blondel. It is an important landmark in the architectural history of 18th century Besançon mansions, as it was the first mansion to be built between courtyard and garden.
Triangular pediments, rusticated stone facades and casement windows of different shapes, were very new then. Another brand-new addition, this time inside the mansion, was the dining room! A room designated for the specific purpose of eating appeared in traditional mansions belonging to members of “Parlement” (the regional legislative and judicial body) only towards the end of the 18th century.